Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Aliiiive!

Day 3
Lem is now several days old, and as predicted by the bread manual he smells like a good, if very ripe, cheese.  I'm pretty happy with this result.  He was fairly unpleasant Saturday morning, and I was pretty skeptical he would ever really turn I into something I would consider adding to my food. I split the culture and my little army of yeast cells is now off to the races, hopefully.
Day 5
I also had the chance to go to Tartine at bread time this weekend.  I picked up the actual article.  So the bread comes out of the oven each day at 4:30.  We got there at 5:30, and they had sold out of everything except wheat and sesame bread.  I was a little bummed not to try the classic country loaf I'm currently working on emulating, but the sesame loaf was really good.  Not really sandwich bread though.  It has giant holes, which seem to me like they would pose a problem for the sauce heavy sandwiches I'm working on.  Still, it's pretty good meal replacement bread.  A big smear of butter and it is ready to eat.  Also good toasted.  It has a really interesting and complex flavor.  Sort of like sourdough, only not sour.  (I realize that sounds pretty dumb, but I think you'd understand what I meant if you tasted it.)


The 'Real Deal': Sesame loaf from Tartine.  Look at those holes!

No comments:

Post a Comment